The second full day in Chaing Mai we were 2 of the lucky 8 that got to do cooking school at the Four Seasons. I must say it was right up there with the Elephant Trek among top experiences I have had this far! We had private cooking lessons and made four Thai dishes. A chef led the class and taught us some of the classic Thai recipes. She would make a serving, let us try, then we would each go to our cooking area and cook it ourselves. It was unbelievable! The food was delicious and the drinks flowing. Chris and I actually joined her early and went to the market to pick up a few things. We also tried Thai coffee and donuts. I must admit, I could have passed on seeing a few parts of the market (i.e. butcher area - Thai's use every part of every animal--- luckily not the case at the Four Seaons, and the meat is imported) but it was a neat thing to see a true Thai market that was not "touristy". They also sold bags, yes bags the size of sugar bags, of MSG. I'll have a side of cancer with that...
The cooking class was SO FUN. It was a marathon of eating and everything was so good! The kitchen area itself was open air, as most things are in Thailand, and it was beautiful.
The same day was also the King's birthday in Thailand. We went to eat at a great restraunt by the river and burned candles in celebration. The king is greatly loved in Thailand, so the whole country was celebrating. The sky was full of fire ballons which Thais use to celebrate the King. It was a remarkable sight!
In celebration of the King we all wore pink shirts. Thais have a different color for each day of the week. The King's color is actually yellow, however if you know there is a conflict going on in Thailand, the Yellow People vs the Red People so they wore pink instead because it is symbolic of the year the king was born.
After dinner we rode in a Tuk Tuk and walked the night market. It was fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment